Borough Clerk: Eric M. Colvin
Tel: (908) 231-1300 ext. 13
Administrative Assistant: Annie Lella
Tel: (908) 231-1300 ext. 10
22 First St.
Raritan, New Jersey 08869
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.
The Office of the Borough Clerk is responsible for providing an array of services to the citizens, the business community, the Governing Body and Borough employees, and handles particular duties in relation to the operations of our municipality.
Reporting to the Borough Council, the Borough Clerk is responsible for the activities and responsibilities for directing, supervising, and participating in the activities legally established as responsibilities of the Borough Clerk. Duties include custody of the Municipal Seal and of records, books, contracts and other documents, and attesting to the validity of public records and official municipal enactments. Duties also include voter registration, control, and issuance of various licenses, and related records.
As the central office of information, numerous inquiries of all types are handled – directing citizens to the proper office or person, providing copies of documents, maps, ordinances, applications, forms, voter registrations, historical information, and garbage/recycling schedules, etc.
The Borough Clerk is one of the statutory municipal positions required by New Jersey State Law. The Borough Clerk’s general responsibilities as defined by New Jersey Statutes [N.J.S.A. 40A:9-133] are:
- SECRETARY OF THE MUNICIPAL CORPORATION
- Custodian of the municipal seal.
- Maintain custody of all minutes, books, deeds, bonds, contracts and archival records of the municipal corporation.
- Attest to the signatures of municipal officers and officials.
- Maintain receipt of service of legal documents
- SECRETARY TO THE GOVERNING BODY
- Prepare agenda for meetings of the Governing Body.
- Keep an official record of the proceedings of every meeting, retain the original copies of all minutes, ordinances and resolutions, and, when necessary, advertise ordinances, resolutions and the municipal budget.
- Maintain custody of all official records not specifically handled by other departments.
- Administer and record oaths of office.
- CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER OF ALL ELECTIONS held in the municipality
- CHIEF REGISTRAR OF VOTERS in the municipality
- ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER with responsibilities as follows:
- Acceptance of applications for licenses and permits and the issuance of licenses and permits, except where statute or municipal ordinance has delegated that responsibility to some other municipal department.